Who We Serve
Eligible clients must:
- Be a resident of Mahoning County, Ohio, and own your own single-family home. You must be the owner of record. We verify home ownership with the Mahoning County Real Estate Database.
- Homeowners cannot own multiple homes.
- Meet Income Eligibility requirements – see below *Homeowners must have a verifiable income meeting minimum and maximum requirements
- You must have owned and lived in your home for 12 consecutive months.
- If there is another name on the title, in addition to the applicant’s, we will count that person’s income, in addition to the income of anyone staying at, or living in the home at the time we do the verification.
- All utilities must be on– we need them to do our work. The only exception is when water or gas service has been stopped because of a broken water or gas line which we are there to repair.
- Real estate taxes must be paid.
- IF YOU ARE BUYING YOUR HOME THROUGH LAND CONTRACT YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR OUR SERVICES
- Income of ALL household residents is counted.
- The applicant must have an income, and provide IHMS with proofs of that income from the income provider (employer, Social Security, pension, etc.) We do not accept IRS Form W-2’s as proofs of income.
- Income must be at, or below, 50% of the median income.
As of April 23, 2018 the following are the income guidelines for IHMS services. These amounts are set by the Department of Housing and Urban Development and are revised each year. When calculating income include ALL INCOME from ALL SOURCES for ALL PEOPLE WHO ARE STAYING IN THE HOUSE, before taxes.
Please contact our office for income limits for households over 10 people.
Text Version of Income Guidelines
If we can’t help, check out these other community resources.