November 3, 2017

Our Services

What We Do

cropped_porch_for_front_page_3-4-09Interfaith performs necessary and emergency home maintenance tasks.  Jobs are categorized as Emergency, Critical, and Home Repair.  Emergency and Critical jobs such as plumbing repairs, installing disability accessible equipment, and furnace repairs are given priority over Home Repair Jobs. Examples of home repair jobs would be window and door replacement, carpentry repairs, and cabinet and counter repairs. Our ability to do jobs depends on upon the availability of resources. Interfaith reserves the right to refuse any job which we determine to be beyond the scope of our guidelines, ability or funding.  Due to the great need and demand of our services, we are currently only accepting applications for Emergency and Critical jobs for which we have funding available

 Emergency/Critical jobs include:

  • Broken Furnaces *Limited 
  • Broken Hot Water Tanks
  • Construction of 1st Floor Bathrooms. *Homeowner must provide proof from physician that a first floor bathroom is a medical necessity
  • Plumbing Repairs: running water in the wrong places or No water in the right places
  • Window or Door Damage from Break-Ins * Homeowner must have a copy of the police report
  • Disability Adaptations such a grab bars, handrails, raised toilets *Homeowner must provide proof from physician that adaptation is a medical necessity

Home Repair jobs include:

  • Cabinetry
  • Flooring
  • Window & Door Replacements
  • Non-Emergency Plumbing Repairs
  • Indoor Carpentry
  • Minor Outdoor Carpentry such as porch/step repairs
  • Spouting

Jobs or things we cannot do

  • Appliance repair or replacement
  • Repair Broken Oil Furnaces or Boilers
  • Direct financial assistance of any kind
  • Electrical work
  • Exterior/Interior painting
  • Furnace installation
  • Work on multi-family homes such as duplexes or apartment buildings.
  • Major rehabilitation or renovation
  • New construction *except ramps
  • Roofing
  • Sidewalk repairs
  • Insulation and Weatherization–for these services contact the Mahoning Youngstown Community Action Partnership’s Home Energy Services
  • Work for a client who does not meet all of the Eligibility Requirements
    • Client must  show proof of income (cannot have zero income) 
  • Work on a home that cannot be saved
  • Work on garages or outbuildings
  • Mold abatement
  • Fire restoration
  • Lead abatement
  • Work on a home where the repair exceeds our ability or funding to work LEAD SAFE
  • Any job where the cost of the job exceeds the value of the house
  • Snow Removal, as of November 2018, we will no longer be able to provide emergency snow removal service. Please consider contacting the Area Agency on Aging to inquire about their services.

If we can’t help, check out these other community resources.


We do not share unauthorized client information with the general public. We do not sell lists of names of clients or contributors to other entities of any kind under any circumstances. 



Who We Serve

Eligible clients must:

  • Be a resident of Mahoning County, Ohio, and own your own single-family home.  You must be the owner of record. We verify home ownership with the Mahoning County Real Estate Database.
  • Homeowners cannot own multiple homes. 
  • Meet Income Eligibility requirements – see below *Homeowners must have a verifiable income meeting minimum and maximum requirements
  • You must have owned and lived in your home for 12 consecutive months.
  • Home cannot be for sale, or had been for sale in the past 12 months
  • Home cannot be in Foreclosure or Bankruptcy
  • If there is another name on the title, in addition to the applicant’s, we will count that person’s income, in addition to the income of anyone staying at, or living in the home at the time we do the verification.
  • All utilities must be on– we need them to do our work.  The only exception is when water or gas service has been stopped because of a broken water or gas line which we are there to repair.
  • Real estate taxes must be paid.
Income eligibility
  • Income of ALL household residents is counted.
  • The applicant must have an income, and provide IHMS with proofs of that income from the income provider (employer, Social Security, pension, etc.) We do not accept IRS Form W-2’s as proofs of income.
  • Income must be at, or below, 50% of the median income.

As of April 25, 2019 the following are the MONTHLY income guidelines for IHMS services.  These amounts are set by the Department of Housing and Urban Development and are revised each year.  When calculating income include ALL INCOME from ALL SOURCES for ALL PEOPLE WHO ARE STAYING IN THE HOUSE, before taxes, for the past SIX MONTHS.

Please contact our office for income limits for households over 10 people.

Text Version of  MONTHLY Income Guidelines

1 person:$1,908
2 people:$2,183
3 people:$2,454
4 people:$2,725
5 people:$2,945
6 people:$3,162
7 people:$3,379
8 people:$3,600
9 people:$3,818
10 people:$4,036

If we can’t help, check out these other community resources.

How to Apply

All applications for services are taken over the phone.  To submit an Emergency Repair Application please call us at 330-743-7800.

Our office is open Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We are closed on weekends and holidays. 

Please have your gross monthly income total for ALL members of your household when you call. Income must be at, or below, 50% of the median income to be eligible for our services. An income table is on our Eligibility page. Proof of income or no income will be required at the time of service. 

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I apply for an Emergency/Critical job?

We take all applications for Emergency/Critical repair jobs over the telephone. Call us during regular business hours.  We record the information you give to us and verify home ownership and eligibility.  You will be required to provide copies of your proofs of income (or no income) as part of the application process. We are only able to accept applications for Emergency/Critical repairs that we have funding available for.

  • How do I apply for  Home Repair job?

Currently, we do have a waiting list of approved Home Repair applications.  Due to the high demand for Emergency & Critical repairs, we are currently unable to accept new applications for Home Repair jobs.   

  • What is a “proof of income”?

Typically, a proof of income is the current year’s award letter from Social Security or Supplemental Security Income telling you how much you are to receive each month.  If you or someone in the home works, we will ask to see 6 months of pay stubs.  Child support, alimony, letters from the Veterans Administration, or notice of pension payments are also proofs of income.

  • What happens after my application has been approved?

Approved applications will be placed on the waiting list to be assigned to an IHMS crew supervisor.  Please remember that Emergency/Critical applications take priority over Home Repair applications.  Once your application is assigned to an IHMS crew supervisor, the supervisor will contact you to make an appointment to come and asses the job you have asked us to do.  During the screening process, the supervisor verifies that work requested is within the scope of our funding and skill set.  Once the job is screened and approved, the IHMS crew supervisor will contact you to schedule a time to come out and complete the work.

  • What if someone in the house is over 18 years old but isn’t working?

For an adult staying at the house who has no income, he or she must provide us with verification from the Department of Jobs and Family Services or One Stop Ohio that he or she is unemployed and, if appropriate, seeking work. If the adult is a full-time student, he or she  has to provide proof of full-time student status.

  • What if you can’t reach me when it is time for my job to be done?

The easy way to avoid this problem is for you to make sure that we have your current telephone or cellular phone numbers. If your phone number changes, call us and let us know so we can update your record. We will attempt to call you twice.  We will leave a message if you have a working answering machine. If we cannot reach you we will attempt to send you a letter asking you to contact us. During this waiting period we will move on to the next person on the waiting list.  If we do not hear from you after the date we put in the letter, we will remove your application from the active file and you will be required to submit a new application or go back on the Home Repair Interest list.

  • I know I have to be the owner of record of the house.  What does that mean, exactly?

We determine ownership by verifying that your home is in your name according to the Mahoning County Auditor’s Property Search. We add to the household income the names of everyone listed as owners. If you own the home with someone who is not living in the home, we will still have to include that person’s income unless that person is willing to grant to you a life tenancy of the home.  You can obtain a sample of a life tenancy letter from the IHMS office, or any other source you prefer.  The life tenancy letter must be signed and notarized by any other owner or owners of the home you live in. There are many circumstances where someone else’s name is shown as owners.  Generally, IHMS will require you to make sure that the home is in your name and has been in your name for at least one year before we can work for you, but you should contact us with any questions you may have in this matter.

  • What if I am buying the house under land contract?

Unfortunately, we are unable at this time to do work in a home being purchased under land contract but once you become the owner of record and have been so for 1 year or more, you can put in an application.

  • If I rent a room to someone do you count the renter’s income?

Yes, we include all income from all sources for all people staying at the house.  We will count the renter’s income and we also count the dollar amount of rent paid to you as part of your income.


This is what our clients have to say:

“I am so thrilled with my windows,  Thank everybody who helped me. . . .” Mrs. P., Youngstown, Ohio

“Thank you so much for your quick response and repair of my furnace. . . I am so thankful to have a place like Interfaith to turn to.” Ms. A., Youngstown, Ohio

“Words cannot begin to express my humblest gratitude to each of you.  The promptness and quality of service you provided was exemplary!” Mrs. J.,  Youngstown, Ohio.

“I just can’t say enough about what (Interfaith has) done for me, and I cannot give a contribution . . . but if my ship ever comes in you will be one of the first that will hear from me.  One more time I thank you from the bottom of my warm heart and God bless you all.” Mr. D.,  Mahoning County

“The crew that did the work were so professional and nice. Greatly Appreciated. I’d like to thank everyone for all your help” Mr. D